Forschungsprojekt „TALAKO“ entwickelt Ladesystem für E-Taxis
Dicke Luft in vielen Städten – dazu tragen auch die Dieselabgase von Taxis bei. Lösungen aus dem... [more]
Prozess-Analytic Award 2019
Herrn Martin Gluch, Absolvent des Masters Elektrotechnik, wurde für seine Abschlussarbeit der... [more]
„Energiewende made in Wuppertal“ – Förderung für vier Klimaschutzprojekte
Mit gleich vier Projekten zum Klimaschutz überzeugte der Lehrstuhl für Elektrische... [more]
Kick-off für „Bergisch.Smart.Mobility"
Minister Pinkwart überreicht Zuwendungsbescheide [more]
Meilenstein auf dem Weg zum Smart-Trolleybus-System
Die Tage der Dieselbusse auf der Solinger Buslinie 695 sind gezählt. [more]
Our faculty has been in existence since the foundation of the university in 1972. It includes the full range of research areas of electrical engineering from communications technology over electronics and automation engineering to energy engineering and has been expanded by the areas of information technology and print and media technologies in 2003.
The roots of our faculty and the university as a whole go back into the 19th century to the “Höhere und Niedere Gewerbeschule”, founded in 1863 in Barmen (Barmen nowadays is a district of Wuppertal). Thus it has existed even longer than RWTH Aachen University which developed from the “Königlich rheinisch-westfälische Polytechnische Schule zu Aachen”, founded in 1870.
First there was a close relationship to mechanical engineering. For about 50 years teaching and research in electrical engineering was practised within the institutional framework of the School of Mechanical Engineering, operating since 1941 under the name of “Staatliche Ingenieurschule für Maschinenwesen”.
Already in 1939 an application for an independent department of electrical engineering was made, but due to World War II it was established only in 1947.
From 1905 to 1932 the School of Engineering was headed by graduate engineer Albert Kuhlmann and was jokingly called “Kuhlmann’s Kotten” (Kotten means little house, workshop or water mill). This was a reference to the blacksmith’s shops and grinding mills in the valleys of various small rivers and on the banks of the river Wupper in the area of Wuppertal, Solingen and Remscheid between the 14th and 19th century, exploiting the water power. They were considered to be early indicators of industrial development in Remscheid, which has been famous for the manufacturing of tools, and Solingen, which has a worldwide reputation for the manufacturing of knives, scissors and all kinds of cutting utensils. The designation “Kuhlmann’s Kotten” was wide-spread and preferred to the stilted term “Vereinigte Technische Lehranstalten”. Former graduates liked to use it in the years after World War II.
In 1963 the “Staatliche Ingenieurschule für Maschinenwesen” celebrated its 100th anniversary as one of the oldest technical training schools in North-Rhine Westphalia.
When in 1971 all the schools of engineering in the Federal Republic of Germany were transformed into universities of applied science, Fachhochschule Wuppertal came into being. It took up both Wuppertal School of Engineering (departments of mechanical and electrical engineering, textile engineering, civil engineering/architecture and printing engineering/design) and Remscheid School of Engineering (departments of mechanical and electrical engineering), founded in 1964. The departments of electrical engineering of the two schools now constituted the Department of Electrical Engineering of Fachhochschule Wuppertal.
Only one year later (1972) the Bergische Gesamthochschule Wuppertal (a type of university combining the characteristics of a traditional university with those of a university of applied science) was founded by merging with the Pädagogische Hochschule (College for teacher training). According to the concept of a practice-oriented university, integrated courses of study were developed providing first a solid theoretical basis for all students and then diversifying into a diploma II degree orientated towards university science and a more practice-oriented diploma I degree.
From the middle of the nineties onwards the Department of Electrical Engineering developed into a faculty with the characteristics of a traditional university faculty. In 2000 it was renamed into “Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology” as a consequence of the rapid development in this field. Bachelor and Master Degree Programmes for Information Technology were successfully introduced.
In 2002 Bergische Gesamthochschule was transformed into Bergische Universität Wuppertal (University of Wuppertal). A year later the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology was expanded by the former Department of Printing Technologies. Since then it has been called Faculty E: Faculty of Electrical, Information and Media Engineering. New Bachelor and Master Programmes for Electrical Engineering and Print and Media Technologies have been introduced taking into account the changed requirements faced by an engineer today.
Presently a total of 21 university professors as well as an academic staff of 63 employees do the teaching and research of the faculty compared to 380 students of electrical engineering, 360 students of information technology and 300 students of print and media technology. Thus the student /instructor ratio is rather low. Individualized attention to students is possible.
Furthermore the faculty moved to new and well-planned rooms on Campus Freudenberg in 2002 including a complex of lecture halls where most of the courses are held. There is state-of-the-art computer-based laboratory equipment available for the students offering 32 places for basic studies as well as special lab practicals for advanced studies.
There is a faculty library and a dining-hall on the campus.